jenryland

jenryland

Spies and Prejudice - Talia Vance *I borrowed this ARC through Around The World ARC tours*Spies and Prejudice is a mash-up that's as clever as its title; it's a loose retelling of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice combined with a fun spy-themed mystery. Strawberry "Berry" Fields works for her father, staking out cheating spouses. She's assisted in this by her friend Mary Chris Mass, who's a tech genius. (Yes, their names are pretty puntastic.) One day on a job, two strange things happen. First, Berry and Mary meet two guys-- cute brothers Ryan and Tanner, who say they are going to be new students at the girls' school. Then, Berry sees Mary's dad exchanging a mystery piece of evidence with a strange woman -- evidence that has to do with Berry's mom's accidental death.I enjoyed this book. It was fun to try to figure out the P & P parallels and I enjoyed the creative liberties that the author took with the original story. Having the Berry (Lizzie) character overhear Tanner's (Darcy's) disparaging remark about her using surveillance equipment made me laugh. I also loved the Mr. Collins character (a slightly stalkery kid named Collin) and I think that the Lizzie should have had an adorable St. Bernard in the original book. But readers who are not familiar with Pride and Prejudice will still enjoy this story.Spies and Prejudice is breezy and easy to read, with clever dialogue and a protagonist you can root for. The case involving Berry's mother got a bit convoluted at times, but no cliffhanger ending. However, there is a big reveal at the end that definitely leaves an opening for a sequel.I'd recommend Spies and Prejudice to fans of Ally Carter's Gallagher Girls series. There were also moments that reminded me of Veronica Mars and 21 Jump Street -- always a plus!