jenryland

jenryland

Butter

Butter - Erin Jade Lange Source: eARC from NetGalleyThe thing I liked most about this book was its moral complexity. There's a lot of subtle commentary here about modern technology, about the uneasy relationship between voyeurism and entertainment, about the fine line between a supportive relationship and an undermining one.To me, Butter was not a book with obvious heroes and villains. Butter's online relationship with Anna is sad but also cuts two ways.Yes, Butter is totally and completely delusional to think that a gorgeous, popular girl would ever give him the time of day in real life. On the other hand, why is gorgeous, popular Anna in a relationship with a guy who will never meet up with her, never talk to her on the phone, never fully reveal himself to her? Clearly, Anna has her own issues. Although I would have loved to have seen these explored a bit more in the book, this is really Butter's story.Given reality TV and the fact that so much of teens' social lives takes place on the internet, Butter's website to chronicle his own suicide is both ghoulish and apt. At first, I wasn't sure whether his site was a cry for attention or a cry for help. Until the very end of this book, I wasn't sure how things were going to turn out.Butter is way more than just a book about a kid with weight issues -- this is a thought-provoking book that still has me pondering the way technology influences our self-image and our relationships with others.