jenryland

jenryland

Mind Games

Mind Games - I read Paranormalcy and was charmed by its snappy pace and snarky humor. So I admire the fact that after wrapping up that trilogy, author Kiersten White decided to write a book that, on the surface, seems completely different. After reading Mind Games, I wouldn't say that's necessarily the case. Yes, the narrative structure of Mind Games is somewhat of a departure from White's prior work. Yes, the tone is slightly darker. But, like Paranormalcy, Mind Games is fast-paced and dialogue-heavy.Mind Games is told in dual POVs with flashbacks, giving us both Fia's and Annie's points of view. Fia's voice is unique -- she has the habit of repeating words (words words words) in a sort of mental tic. But the technique was used sparingly enough that it didn't bother me. The book's timeline also jumps around quite a bit between the past and the present. I'm not generally a huge fan of flashbacks, but the chapters are short and the chapter headings helpfully announce whose head and what time period you are in.I was intrigued by Fia and Annie and their loving yet co-dependent relationship. I was further intrigued by the school they attend, though the details on that are pretty sketchy. Same with the secondary characters, some of whom seem to be bad guys, though we're never really given much information on who they are or exactly what they're supposed to be up to. For me, knowing the stakes beyond Fia and Annie's desire to protect one another would have upped the tension level considerably. Also, the fact that this book is so weighted toward dialogue and internal monologue that I had this crazy out-of nowhere idea about what the ending would be. Full review on my blog -- check it out.