jenryland

jenryland

Thin Space

Thin Space - Jody Casella I went into Thin Space expecting a paranormal grief book and got something more like a cool paranormal suspense story. Marsh, still mourning the death of his twin in a car accident, wanders his New Hampshire town in bare feet, trying to locate a "thin space" where he can cross over into the world of the dead. He becomes convinced that one of these thin spaces is in the house of Maddie, the new girl at school, and he befriends her as a way to get access to it.I loved the isolated New Hampshire setting and the whole eerie mythology behind the thin spaces. As I read, I began to wonder if a certain plot development would come to pass -- there are plenty of hints and, while it would have probably have been more fun if I'd been caught completely by surprise, it was still pretty fun to find out that I was right.Because so much of the story is spent setting up a big reveal, Thin Space doesn't pack the kind of emotional punch of other realistic YA books that deal with the aftermath of a sibling's death, books like The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson, Personal Effects by E. M. Kokie, or Saving June by Hannah Harrington. But Thin Space has the spooky, fun vibe of a creepy story you'd tell at a sleepover.