jenryland

jenryland

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn Received for review from NetGalley.I've been a huge fan of Gillian Flynn since her debut novel, Sharp Objects. Flynn is an amazing writer of dark, edgy books filled with creepiness and suspense and black humor. Gone Girl is no exception. It's different from her prior books. Instead of the narrator being a smart, mordant girl, this book is narrated by a guy, Nick.It's Nick's fifth wedding anniversary and he's excited to spend it with his wife Amy. No, their marriage isn't perfect, but what marriage is? There's just one small problem. Amy's gone missing. The police think he must have had something to do with her disappearance. I mean, in these cases, isn't the culprit always the husband?For anyone who follows those missing wife stories on Dateline, etc., this part of the story is interesting enough. But Flynn cleverly brings the missing Amy into the narrative by interspersing Nick's POV with excerpts from Amy's journals. Through Amy's writing, we see her falling in love with Nick five years before, read about her reluctance to leave New York and move back to his small hometown -- all the small compromises and arguments that begin to tarnish their shiny new love.This book is a page-turner. I kept changing my mind over and over. No, he couldn't have killed her. Yes, he definitely kllled her. Flynn's touch as as deft as ever and her mind is as as twisted! I look forward to whatever she writes next!