jenryland

jenryland

Sever - Lauren DeStefano Thanks to Around the World ARC tours for letting me have a sneak peek at this book.Complete review will go up on my blog YA Romantics in February.I'm a huge fan of the Chemical Garden series. Lauren DeStefano is not just a wonderful writer, she's one of those rare authors who can fully imagine an amazing, unique world and then invite readers to step into it. As Sever opens, Rhine seems diminished. She went through a lot in Fever, the prior book, and she's both physically weakened and mentally exhausted. Across the three books of this trilogy, Rhine has been trying to get back to her brother Rowan, and will need the help of both new friends and people from her past to do that. Rhine thinks she understands who in her world is evil and who is good, but she may have to rethink some of those preconceptions. She'll also have to accept help, to trust others, to come to terms with her marriage to Linden, and to face her past.To me, the endings of books (and trilogies) need to be both satisfying to the reader and fitting to the spirit of the trilogy. I think Sever did a wonderful job of tying up both the plot and the relationship strands of the story. I did not go into Sever expecting a warm and fuzzy happily ever after, because these books depict a post-apocalyptic world where hope and despair live side by side. Yes, there is tragedy in Sever, and there is also hope.In a world in which women don't live to be older than twenty, in which lives are sacrificed in the name of science, hope and love seems like foolish endeavors. In Sever, Rhine will find love in some very unexpected places. Does this mean she doesn't end up with Gabriel? My lips are sealed! But I loved the fact that Sever didn't focus solely on the swoony kind of romance you often find in YA fiction. I think love is the best kind of hope, and Sever looked at many different kinds of love: between parent to child, between siblings, and between people who are bonded together through shared experience.I'm sad to see the Chemical Garden series end, but can't wait to see what Lauren DeStefano does next.