jenryland

jenryland

The Darkest Minds - Alexandra Bracken After her special powers lead her parents to turn her into the government, Ruby is thrown in a rehabilitation camp for six years and has very little idea of what's been going on in the wider world. After her escape from the camp, Ruby meets a scrappy trio of kids in a minivan. The minivan gang -- Liam, Suzume, and Chubs -- are a group of characters that wormed their way permanently into my heart. Like Ruby, they're on the run. They're trying to find the rumored safe haven of East River and this near-mythical guy called the Slip Kid. Are you sensing a quest here? Some fantasy themes? What's great is that Ruby doesn't initially buy into their dream. She's desperately trying to hide the fact that she has special abilities she doesn't understand and can't control. And after six years in the camp, she's a survivor. A cynic, not an idealist. She lies to our plucky trio, pretending that people are chasing her because she overheard some information. But then she finds herself falling for Liam.I loved the fact that the relationships in The Darkest Minds were so realistic. There's no insta-love here. Ruby's not even up for insta-trust. And, when you're running for your life, do you really have time for that lip lock? Ruby does slowly warm up to the gang. And just when you think the group is making progress both strategically and emotionally, there are some major plot developments. Some big twists. Then, one of those endings that I kicked myself for not predicting, an ending that was felt both inevitable and completely, utterly heartbreaking.The whole dystopian/Sci-fi YA field is crowded with books, but The Darkest Mind stands out to me as one of the best of the year. Read full review and discuss and win other great YA books on my blog, YA Romantics!