jenryland

jenryland

Miss Fortune Cookie - Lauren Bjorkman I loved the realistic relationship between these three girls -- the book really captures that strange mix of love and competitiveness that can sometimes characterize female friendships. Miss Fortune Cookie was also funny --there's a whole subplot involving an elopement and an extended chase scene that's both wacky and entertaining. But Miss Fortune Cookie isn't all laughs -- the book tackles some serious issues as well. As the girls wait for their letters of acceptance -- or rejection -- from colleges, they have to deal with both parental expectations and their own hopes and dreams. Mei is first generation American, and her mom insists on Harvard or bust. Erin has promised Linny that the two of them will attend Berkeley together. Of course, nothing turns out exactly as the girls expect.At times, I did feel that there was a lot going on plot-wise, and as a result, some parts of the book seemed disjointed. But those very minor quibbles aside, I really enjoyed reading Miss Fortune Cookie and appreciated its original premise, Lauren Bjorkman's humorous writing, and the book's realistic, likeable characters. If you're in the mood for something full of humor and charm, definitely check this book out!Read full review on my blog and find other great YA to read and win!