jenryland

jenryland

Venom - Fiona Paul My favorite part of Venom was -- without question -- the book's setting. I've never been to Venice, so I loved the contrast of the quiet (fictional) island of San Domenico with the all that Venetian glamour and decadence.Decadence. This book is filled with it, as we watch a sheltered, naive girl explore Venice by night. Much of the plot involves Cass sneaking out of the house so that she and Falco can pursue the mysterious killer, chasing clues from an upscale whorehouse to a masked ball to the studio of a real Renaissance artist, Tommaso Vecellio. (This leads to an artist's model scene that's reminiscent of Jack and Rose in Titanic.)Yes, Falco is clearly up to something creepy and anyone who has studied any art history will probably figure out what that is. Still, it was lots of fun to wait and see if Cass would catch on or if Falco would 'fess up. And, yes, anyone who has read much historical romance will also know that a girl who is betrothed to an absentee suitor can expect a knock on the door before the book is over! But again, it was pretty fun to sit back and wait for the Love Triangle fireworks.While Cass and Falco think they have found the person responsible for the girls' murders, there are still plenty of unanswered questions to be tackled in Belladonna, the next book in this series.Recommended for fans of historical fiction, readers who don't mind love triangles, and Italiophiles!