jenryland

jenryland

Break My Heart 1,000 Times - Daniel Waters Multiple POVs -- from a ghost, from Veronica, from Kirk, from Mr. Bittner -- give this story a fun cat-and-mouse feel as creepy Mr. Bittner skulks closer and closer to Veronica and she tries to decide if he's just harmless and weird or actually dangerous.Veronica was an interesting character -- she's smart and good-looking and she owns it. Some readers might find her arrogant, but I welcomed the change from the plain-Jane-with-two-hot-guys-in-love-with-her heroine that YA books often serve up. The relationship between Veronica and Kirk reminded me a little bit of the one between Velvet and Nick in Velveteen. In both of these pairings, the guy is the lovesick one in the relationship and the girl is aloof and standoffish.While there's plenty of suspense and creepiness in this book, it also looks at loss and mourning. We're not given many details about the Event, just told that it killed millions. As a result of the Event, many of the characters in the book have experienced the death of a loved one and each reacts differently, from anger to depression to denial to complete psychosis.Break My Heart 1,000 Times is a quirky, creepy book that has some unique characters and very unexpected twists. Recommended to readers who enjoy thrillers, tough girl characters, multiple points of view and ghost stories! Read full review on my blog and find other great YA to read and win!