jenryland

jenryland

Velveteen - Daniel Marks I expect that some readers were disappointed that the whole Velveteen-gets-revenge-on-Bonesaw thing doesn't make up the majority of this book's plot. Instead, the plot meanders around Purgatory.This was great with me -- Purgatory is a creepily beautiful place.Velveteen's anger is like a current that sizzles quietly under the surface of the story. I've said it before: I have this soft spot for angry girl characters. Velveteen is also sarcastic. Irreverent. She doesn't take crap from anyone. I think she blames herself for her own murder. The book is coy on that front, taking a while to reveal exactly how Velveteen ended up dead.Velveteen doesn't think she wants emotional attachment -- she rarely seems to think of her parents, of her family. She's focused. Obsessed. Nick is her complete opposite. He's new to the whole Purgatory thing. His neediness unnerves Velveteen. She thinks of herself as a one-woman show.While I expected this book to be the gory tale of Velveteen exacting some kind of bloody revenge on Bonesaw, I was pleased that Velveteen was a much more complicated book than that. I loved Velveteen. It might not be exactly what you expect, and it's definitely not your typical YA. But if you like darkly beautiful stories, angry girl characters, imaginative settings, and don't mind a little meandering and a change of plan, you'll definitely want to give this one a try. Check out full review on my blog and find other great YA to read and win!