jenryland

jenryland

Mystic City - Theo Lawrence Mystic City is another of those YA hybrids: a post-apocalyptic dystopian romance with minor fantasy and sci-fi elements. If I had to pitch it as a mash-up, I'd call it Matched + Gossip Girl with hints of Romeo and Juliet and The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.The dystopic-fantasy elements come into play with the Mystics -- people with special powers who are forced to have their mystical energy drained every two years so it can be used to fuel the city.The post-apocalyptic aspect of the book has to do with the flooding of Manhattan and the resulting devastation. A while back, I posted about the fact that, to me, the scariest post-apocalyptic stories are the ones that I could actually picture happening. New York City has a lot of low-lying areas and Manhattan is surrounded by water. Yes, I could picture the whole Manhattan-becomes-Venice scenario that's set up here.I'd say the only part of the book that didn't quite work for me is that the Mystics' magic is explained bit by bit and, at times, felt like a plot device that got characters out of sticky situations unscathed. But there are also some truly chilling moments -- Aria describes her father as "leader of thugs" and let's just say she was not exaggerating. By the end, there was some resolution of events, but it seemed to me that the ending of Mystic City left things open for a sequel. Read complete review on my blog and find other great YA to read and win!