jenryland

jenryland

The Lost Girl - Sangu Mandanna Part sci-fi, part folktale, part coming-of-age story, The Lost Girl is a story of impressive depth and subtlety, a story that's a pleasure to read but also keeps you thinking long after you've turned the last page. As modern science makes advances like cloning and the creation of artificial body parts, the questions posed by this book are relevant and fascinating.I loved Eva. The recent popularity of dystopian fiction has made tough-as-nails heroines all the rage in YA, but Eva has a quiet strength and resoluteness that I found deeply moving. Every character in the book felt spot-on, from Sean, Eva's forbidden love, to Mina Ma, Eva's surrogate mother, to Amarra's grieving family and boyfriend."I pretended to love them for so long, and somewhere along the line, it stopped being pretend."Much of the plot revolves around Eva's adjustment to her new life. Not only is she literally stepping into another person's shoes, she's living on the other side of the world. Eva was created and raised in England, but after Amarra's death, she goes to live in Bangalore, where Amarra's family lives. I loved this post-colonial, cross-cultural aspect of the book, loved the setting, loved how the author wove a folk tale about a mongoose into this Frankenstein-inspired story. For those of you who crave romance and suspense, this book has plenty of both. Not only are echoes are illegal in India and hunted by vigilantes, they can also be terminated on request, so Eva is always one step away from oblivion. Suspense, forbidden love, strong characters, beautiful writing, a thought-provoking premise -- I can't think of any more I could ask for in a book. I highly recommend this one!