jenryland

jenryland

Splintered - A.G. Howard Source: eARC via NetGalleyAlice in Wonderland is a pretty trippy tale, and Splintered does a great job of taking the book's signature elements -- things like the looking glass, the Red Queen, the White Rabbit, the caterpillar -- and weaving them into a completely different story that's still true to the original. That old "girl who's afraid she looks/acts like her crazy/dead mother" isn't a brand-new trope in YA, but the "girl who hears bugs talking" certainly is. I loved the beginning of Splintered, which shows us Alyssa making bug collages, Alyssa plugging in earphones and heading to the skate park to drown out the bug voices, Alyssa visiting her mother in the mental institution. Alyssa's in love with her best friend, a fellow skateboarder and former juvenile delinquent named Jeb, who is in love with mean girl Taelor, who is just as annoying as the spelling of her name.Most of the story takes place in Splintered's version of Wonderland. To me, this part of the book was strongly reminiscent of the fae fiction I've read -- rival queens and courts, tests to endure, characters under spells and curses. If you loved the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr, Splintered will definitely be your kind of book. Read the full review and tons of other current YA reviews on my blog, YA Romantics!