jenryland

jenryland

Crimson Frost - Jennifer Estep Source: e-ARC via NetGalleyThis is such a fun series. It's one part Harry Potter, with the boarding school for the kids with special powers, and the Professsor McGonagall like character of Professor Metis. It's one part Buffy the Vampire Slayer, given the library and its Giles-like keeper, Nikamedes, plus the abundance of fight scenes. And it's a little bit Vampire Academy. In this book, Gwen feels a little Rose Hathaway to me -- she's accused of wrongdoing and feels that the whole world is against her. If you enjoyed any or all of these books and are looking for a fun, fast-paced read, you should definitely check this series out. Jennifer Estep weaves mythology from all around the globe into one pan-mythological world.In Crimson Frost, I thought that Gwen and Logan's relationship -- which has proceeded with glacial slowness over the course of four books -- might finally move into high gear. But just as they're finally going on a real date, poor Gwen gets approached by the Protectorate and told she's being accused of freeing Loki.There's a theft of jewels from the library early in the book. Though I did guess the identity of the person responsible for that -- a major new villain who is allied with Vivian, the murderer of Gwen's mother -- there was a very surprising plot twist that I did not see coming at all. Poor Gwen. Let's just say that I can see that there will be a book five in this series! Which is great, because I think that YA could use more books like these -- pure escapist fun, plenty of friendship and girl power, and just a hint of romance.Read the full review and come discuss and win great YA books on my blog, YA Romantics!