jenryland

jenryland

Every Day - David Levithan Source: eARC from NetGalleyEvery Day was profound, funny, thought-provoking, touching. Because A wakes up in a new body each day, the reader watches A live a wide range of human experience: male, female, attracted to boys/girls, rich, poor, black, white, Asian, overweight, happy, suicidal... But A is deeply lonely. There is no point getting attached to friends, to family, to a place, to a life. The next day, A will be somewhere else and someone else.Every Day is a book that subtly reminds the reader that each day is something to be treasured. It's easy to forget that. Every Day is also about the universality of love. Unless I missed something, we don't know A's gender. All we see is that A's connection to Rhiannon goes beyond the corporeal.A book with these sort of themes could easily come off preachy or sappy. Or both. But Every Day is neither. In fact, there's a wacky and hilarious subplot involving a guy whose body A inhabited -- a guy who's onto A and out to expose the whole body-stealing thing. As I got close to the end of Every Day, I began to have a feeling about how the story was going to wind up. At first I had to be dragged along, kicking and screaming, but as I clicked through the last few pages, I changed my mind. Just like everything else about this book, the ending felt absolutely right. HIghly recommended!