jenryland

jenryland

The Unquiet - Jeannine Garsee I received this book as an e-ARC from the publisher through NetGalleyMy summary Corinne "Rinn" Jacobs has been through a lot. She blames herself for her grandmother's death, and attempted suicide as a result. Now she finds herself back in her mom's hometown, going to a new high school, staying on her psychiatric meds, and just trying to get on with her life. Things seem to be going well -- she makes a group of friends who show her the secret tunnel under their school and tell her the story of Annaliese, a girl who drowned in the school pool years ago. Suddenly, Rinn's hearing voices and seeing things. My take: Rinn has a lot to deal with as this book opens and things don't get much better for her as the story progresses. She doesn't make great choices when picking her new friends, and before she knows it, terrible things are happening to them. Is Rinn next? Or is she just losing her mind? I like ghost stories and I love "gaslighting" books in which the main character doubts his or her own sanity. But there was something about this book that left me a little disconnected. It could be that I wasn't drawn to many of the characters, or that I got impatient waiting for the big reveal at the end. That said, I do think there are a lot of people out there who will really enjoy this book. I'd pitch The Unquiet as Girl, Interrupted meets I Know What You Did Last Summer If that makes you go, "oooh," then I encourage you to pick this book up, pronto!