jenryland

jenryland

Dead Time - Anne Cassidy Source: eARC from NetGalleyRose is quiet and introverted, more at home on her computer than out among kids her own age. After her mother's disappearance, Rose is sent to live with her grandmother and tries to stay in touch with Joshua, the son of the man who disappeared along with her mother. Rose has tried to get on with her life, but Joshua is determined to get to the bottom of their parents' disappearance. One day Rose witnesses the murder of Ricky, a boy from her school.Rose is an odd main character -- dull and prickly, with occasional bouts of self-righteous indignation. I am generally fond of shy or reclusive main characters. Often they have a rich inner life due to the fact that they've spent a great deal of time thinking and observing others. But Rose just seemed self-absorbed.As a mystery fanatic, I was disappointed that crucial information about Rose's mother's disappearance is withheld from the reader -- it's not until well into the book that we learn that Rose's mother was not just your average soccer mom -- she was a police officer.This book doesn't resolve all its mysteries, so you'll need to read a sequel to find out what happens in the end.