jenryland

jenryland

Just One Day - Gayle Forman I borrowed this ARC as part of a tour (hosted by Around the World ARC Tours) in exchange for a possible review.Allyson follows the rules on her student trip to Europe. That's just the kind of girl she is: rule-follower, perfect only child, academic overachiever. Until she makes a rash, impulsive, completely un-Allyson decision. She meets Willem, an actor who's part of a cast of a very unconventional Shakespeare play, in London. She agrees to go to Paris with him. This one decision will have lasting repercussions, making Allyson question everything she thought she'd figured out about herself, her life and the world. This is a story about identity and independence, about how difficult it can be (at any age! ) to figure out your place in the world. For those readers who have had it up to here with insta-love, Just One Day takes the whole "love at first sight" thing and makes you believe it as you follow this romantic young couple around Paris. Then, a few scenes later, the whole thing blows up, which, in real life isn't so great but in a book was all kinds of awesome. In the aftermath of her time with Willem, Allyson has to come to terms with the fact that he's someone she barely knows, someone whose actions she can't understand. Or is he?Read the review on my blog and see what 1990s film I thought this book pays homage to!