jenryland

jenryland

The Madman's Daughter - Megan Shepherd The Madman's Daughter is beautifully written and flawlessly plotted. The book doles out clues until the reader -- or at least this reader -- figures out two of the big twists and is squirming in suspense. I loved Juliet's narrative voice. It was utterly compelling while still seeming true to the book's time period. The setting is phenomenally creepy -- I absolutely love books where a group of characters is trapped in an isolated location. The bad guy -- Dr. Moreau -- is the most intriguing kind of villain, the sort of person who's half-genius, half-madman. The book raises a lot of interesting moral and ethical issues.In the love and romance department, there was a sort-of love triangle. Juliet feels very close to her father's assistant, Montgomery, whom she's known since childhood, and also to Edward, a handsome shipwreck survivor that she and Montgomery rescue as they sail to her father's island together. At first, I was surprised as the otherwise level-headed Juliet lurched from one guy to the other like a person on the deck of a boat in a storm. I finally realized that these relationships were necessary to the plot, but they never quite felt convincing as romances.The book's ending was pitch-perfect, with a few last twists that were both wrenching and completely true to the story. Read full review on my blog!