jenryland

jenryland

Scarlet - Marissa Meyer Source: ATW ARC toursI'd originally thought Scarlet would be a companion book to Cinder, but it's really more of a sequel -- a merging of two story lines. If you haven't read Cinder, you won't completely understand what's going on in this book.Scarlet's narrative alternates with that of Kai's and Cinder's. Kai is still trying to deal with the fallout of the whole Cinder at the ball fiasco. Cinder, after her disruptive appearance at Prince Kai's royal ball, has been imprisoned. With the help of Captain Carswell Thorne, a feckless fellow prisoner, Cinder stages a jailbreak and soon the pair are combing New Beijing for Thorne's missing spaceship. The two of them made a compelling couple -- verbally sparring in a rapid-fire fashion that brought to mind the crackling sexual tension between Princess Leia and Han Solo in the Star Wars movies. I am definitely rooting for Thorne in this particular love triangle. Like many classic fairytale heroes, Prince Kai is a little on the bland side. After Cinder escapes, poor Kai has to manage Queen Levana's fury, but he still isn't given much to do in this book. Cinder pretty much gets to do all the cool stuff as far as I'm concerned. I was delighted to see that among her accomplishments is bringing back Iko, her beloved cyborg-servant, at least in a manner of speaking. Iko provided additional comic relief as Cinder and Thorne tried to evade capture by the Queen's minions.Meanwhile, Scarlet is trying to track down her missing grandmother with the help of the mysterious street fighter named Wolf. While I enjoyed reading about Scarlet and Wolf, I also felt that theirs was a peripheral plot stream to Cinder's. Scarlet's grandmother has something that the evil Queen Levana needs, but Scarlet doesn't really seem central to the series' main plot. Wolf is an interesting character -- I don't want to say too much for fear of spoilers -- and I hope he and Scarlet will continue to be part of the series. There are still two more fairytale characters -- Rapunzel and Snow White -- who also need to be brought into the mix.Scarlet, like Cinder, is a lively, imaginative book that seems to be one-third fairy tale, one-third sci-fi, and one-third comic book adventure. The series, which features strong female heroines and a great blend of action and romance, is one I highly recommend!