jenryland

jenryland

Also Known As - Robin Benway I received an e-ARC of this book from the publisher for review.I'm crazy about anything that has to do with spies.I'm also a big fan of Robin Benway's books. If you haven't read Audrey, Wait! and The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May and June, you should definitely add them to your list.I adored Maggie, the main character in AKA. She's grown up globe-trotting with her spy parents, watching them work, and they've given her little jobs to do, but she's dying to prove herself. So when they tell Maggie that has her first solo assignment, she's beyond thrilled. All she has to do is locate this new classmate of hers, Jesse, and get into his father's safe. Since Maggie has a special talent for locks, she's confident she can do it. First, though, she'll have to survive high school. If you've read Audrey, Wait!, you might remember Victoria, Audrey's outrageous BFF. In Also Known As, Maggie meets the equally outrageous Roux. She's an outcast after getting caught up in some serious Girl Drama, and she offers to be Maggie's friend. This seems like a bad idea, but then Roux turns out to be a really endearing and hilarious character. This is a funny book, but I think I laughed at Roux's lines more than anyone's.Then there's Jesse. He's also not what he seems to be. This was probably my favorite part of the book -- watching Maggie figure out if there was any way to carry out her assignment and not break Jesse's heart. I was so nervous, wondering what she was going to do. To me, that was more suspenseful than the spy stuff -- which was suspenseful too. And -- shocker -- this book actually had a resolution. I was not expecting that, but I loved it!If you're a fan of books like Ally Carter's Gallagher Girls series and Heist Society series, you should definitely try Also Known As. Full review is on my blog, YA RomanticsIf you love spy books, check out my full list of YA books about spies, assassins and secret agents.