jenryland

jenryland

The Indigo Spell - Richelle Mead I loved this book. That said, it was not at all what I had bargained for, and I want to let all of you experience it without being influenced by my expectations. So instead of a formal review, I want to just tell you what I love about this series and why you should read it!SydneyI just love this girl. In a classic old movie, she'd be the librarian who finally takes off her glasses and lets down her hair. She's incredibly smart, which I love. She's pragmatic and cool-headed, cautious and rule-following. She's been raised in a very strict, repressive environment. In this book, she starts questioning things that she's always taken for granted. She's even beginning to embrace her talent for magic. I think she's going to undergo tremendous character growth over the course of this six-book series, and I can't wait.AdrianIt's nearly impossible not to be charmed by Adrian. In the classic movie, he'd be the bad boy with the heart of gold, the sensitive guy who hides his feelings under a lot of bluster. He's hilariously funny. A talented artist. But he's also incredibly loyal. In this book, he's always there for Syd in a way that warmed my heart.SydrianYes, Adrian used to have this silly little crush on Rose Hathaway. But hard-headed, impulsive Rose was all wrong for him. Adrian needs someone steady and calm to balance out his artistic temperament. He and Sydney are just so great together in this book. They have fun and it's a pleasure to see. There's even a scene in this book where Rose ... nope, I'll let you read it yourself.Spirit DreamsThey're baaaack and better than ever.The colorful secondary characters:Ms. Terwilliger, with her mangling of Sydney's name and her coffee addition. At first I thought she was just wackadoodle, but I'm coming to see her as a real mentor and surrogate mother figure to Sydney.Then there's Malachi Wolfe, crusty old self-defense expert. And remember Jet Steele? I have to say that Marcus Finch wasn't nearly as compelling as I expected, but maybe that will come in later books.Love triangle free zone!I was worried by the cover photo, but I shouldn't have been. That's not to say that this couldn't change in future books. But I don't see sensible Sydney as the kind of girl to get caught up in that kind of thing. There's even this scene where .... never mind. But I am sure that Sydney and Adrian will have a lot to get through over the course of this series.Find more reviews and giveaways (including a chance to win Indigo Spell) on my blog!