jenryland

jenryland

Dead Silence - Kimberly Derting I've enjoyed this series about a girl who can hear the "echoes" of the dead and is compelled to find the body and help it to be put to rest. Violet can also hear the "imprint" that a murderer acquires after he or she takes a life.There are several intertwined plots in Dead Silence. First, there's the murder victims that Violet stumble upon early in the book. Second, there's Violet's glimpse into the past as her mom gives her some journals and photos that belonged to Violet's grandmother. This helps her learn more about her "gift" and about the complication of that gift that developed at the end of Last Echo. And third, Violet's life at school and with Jay and the case work that she began to do in the third book collide as some new students show up at Violet and Jay's school.One of my favorite parts of reading the series has been watching the evolution of Violet and Jay. From book one, when Violet became nervous and awkward around Jay, wondering if his feelings for her had deepened as well, to book two, when they were in the can't keep their hands off each other, to book three, when their relationship strained a bit, to this story, their relationship has felt … real. Violet has all the normal girl relationship insecurities, plus she has this creepy special talent, and she's always trying to balance it all out.I loved the sort of equilibrium that Violet and Jay seem to have settled into in this fourth book. In prior books, Jay has veered around from wild overprotectiveness to smoldering passion to a bit of jealousy. In Dead Silence, he's balanced all those out. However … there's a great part of the plot where Violet has to keep a secret from him. A really creepy secret that puts a strain on their relationship.The mystery was … okay. It had sort of a Charles Manson feel, which was cool, but its connection to Violet was a little tenuous. As I said in my review of Game by Barry Lyga earlier this week, I always think that the best mystery stories are those in which the investigator has some kind of personal stake in the case. That was not the case here.But all in all, I enjoyed this book and I've really enjoyed this series. I really hope that this isn't the end for Violet. Fictionally speaking, I mean. I feel that there is definitely more story to be told!