jenryland

jenryland

Manicpixiedreamgirl - Tom Leveen For the complete review, including a brief history of the Manic Pixie Dream girl, Check out my blog, YA RomanticsManicpixiedream girl is about a boy who drifts into a relationship he's not that into because he can't bring himself to reach out to the girl he's really interested in.The book switches between the past and the present, between the aftermath of Tyler's girlfriend discovering that he's obsessed with another girl and his prior encounters with Becky, the girl in question. The flashback sections do start in a different typeface, but once or twice I did get a little confused about what time I was in. And at times, I wondered if the whole conceit of the short story being published was even necessary-- why not just write a book about a guy who's in a relationship with one girl and in love with another? But by the end of the book, I'd decided thatTyler's story shows Becky how he sees her, which offers a needed sense of poignancy and hope as the story resolves.The characters -- and especially the female ones -- in Manicpixiedream girl are drawn with both subtly and precision. There's Tyler's girlfriend Sydney, the efficient, go-getter who is often superficially written in YA books and movies as the high-achieving student council type. But I got the feeling that, deep-down, Sydney is just as bewildered about her relationship with Tyler as he is. That Sydney decided to make Tyler her boyfriend for the same reason that she gets good grades and participates in debate: because that's what she thinks she's supposed to do.For much of the book, Becky is a bit of an enigma. In fact I really wouldn't call her a true MPDG at all. Maybe just a PDG. She's a talented actress, quiet and kind of a loner. As Tyler gets to know her, he finds out some things about her that would be off-putting to a lot of guys. But he doesn't give up on her. He needs to know why. What he finds out is heartbreaking, and mostly so because it's told with matter-of-factness, not melodrama.Definitely recommended for fans of character-driven stories.