jenryland

jenryland

Reboot - Amy Tintera Full review, including a discussion as to whether or not reboots are zombies, is here on my blog: YA RomanticsScary-violent post-apocalyptic zombie stories are SO not my thing. But, you know, it's always important to keep an open mind. And guess what? I really liked this book.I liked Wren, who has to be the most ironically named YA character I've come across in a while. A wren is a little brown bird. Wren 178 is a petite blonde bundle of scary. She'll break your arm as easily as she says hello. The Reboots are all teenagers stricken by the KDH virus, which kills most of its victims, but causes some of them to reawaken after they die. They're stronger, faster, able to heal quickly … and emotionally dead. They serve as soldiers for humans, an undead police force. They also train the new Reboots.Enter Callum. He was only dead for 22 minutes before he rebooted, so he's not as emotionally undead and, as a result, also a source of great exasperation to Wren. He's goofy. Uncoordinated. Wisecracking. For reasons that escape Wren, she volunteers to train him. I love the tough girl/sweet guy dynamic. I loved it in Velveteen by Daniel Marks. I loved it in This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen. And I love it here.I thought the world building in Reboot was good -- the extremely brutal conditions that the Reboots live under are especially well-portrayed. The plot got a little draggy toward the end and I began to sense a trilogy brewing. Reboot relies for suspense on some mysterious injections that some of the lower-level Reboots are being given and the rumor of a group of Reboots living in freedom in a secret location. I'm getting a little weary of dystopian and/or post-apocalyptic books that have the protagonist join up with a group of "rebels" who are wandering around in the woods. I'll take arm breaking over woods wandering any day...Hopefully, the action will pick up again in the next book. But all in all, I loved Wren, loved Callum and loved the way that he brings out human-like feelings in Wren that she thought were long dead. Reminds her of her lost humanity. Brings out all her protective instincts. This book has something for everyone. Flesh eating? Arm breaking? Hand holding? It's ALL in here.*Thanks to Harper Teen for allowing me to read an e-ARC*