jenryland

jenryland

Invisibility - Andrea Cremer, David Levithan I am a HUGE fan of David Levithan and his fictional collaborations with John Green and Rachel Cohn. In fact, Nick and Norah and Will Grayson, Will Grayson are some of my favorite YA contemporaries of all time.Based on the blurb and cover, I went into Invisibility expecting a book like Levithan's Every Day, a contemporary with a hint of the paranormal. I liked the way Every Day offered minimal explanation for the paranormal elements and instead focused on the more existential or philosophical side of a character's paranormal abilities. Invisibility started out in that vein -- seeming like a contemporary novel with a paranormal twist -- but then suddenly morphed into a breakneck fantasy-adventure that reminded me of a Percy Jackson book.Stephen is invisible and always has been -- all his mother would tell him was he was living under a curse. Then one day, he meets someone who can see him. While this is a revelation to Stephen, it does set up a scenario where he and the girl seem sort of stuck with each other. Stephen can finally have a real relationship; and the only girl who can see him can hardly reject the guy who's never been seen by anyone in his entire life.The girl who can see him is Elizabeth, but prefers to be called Jo. (This is a Little Women joke which completely weirded me out because in Invisibility, Jo's brother is named … Laurie. Jo and Laurie cannot be siblings, because in my head I write fanfic where Amy and Professor Bhaer die of typhoid fever so that Jo and Laurie can finally be together.) Elizabeth/Jo was not the easiest of characters to warm up to. Yes, she's angry about something horrible that happened to her brother, but she's also pretty ticked-off in general. I did like the relationship between Jo and her brother, and loved the parallels that Laurie seemed to be drawing between the fact that Stephen is invisible and the struggles that Laurie has gone through.Namely, being brutally attacked for being gay. Laurie says: "When no one can see who you are, no one really knows you." I expected Invisibility to continue on this course and be a sweet story about unconditional love and self-acceptance. (Honestly, I was hoping that Stephen would fall in love with Laurie.) But instead the plot became all about Jo's attempt to break the curse and cure Stephen of his invisibility and, suddenly, I'm knee-deep in cursecasting and hexology.It's hard when you go into a book expecting one thing and get something completely different. I try to roll with the punches in these situations, but in this case I felt invested in the book I started to read. The last half of the book reminded me of Beastly by Alex Flinn (another book about curses and love) crossed with The Lightning Thief -- both books that I enjoyed. I guess I found the transition from contemporary to paranormal a little jarring and wished the book had stayed on its original course. I'm a die-hard contemporary fan -- what can I say?