jenryland

jenryland

Star Cursed - Jessica Spotswood I'm happy to report that there is no middle-book-in-a-series-slump going on here! Star Cursed, the second book in the Cahill Witch Chronicles, is overflowing with conflict. First, there's the political drama that underlies the rivalry between the Sisterhood and the Brotherhood. Then, Sister Cora, the leader of the Sisterhood, is gravely ill, and there's a simmering dispute about who will take over after she dies and how the Sisters should deal with Brotherhood. There's also the growing tensions between between Cate and her younger sister, Maura. When Maura arrives at the convent, she is still reeling from a broken heart, and obviously angry at and jealous of Cate as all three sisters try to deal with possible interpretations of that ominous prophecy. Finally, there's the issue of Finn. Cate was falling in love with him in book one, and couldn't explain to him why she was forced to enter the convent.All this makes for a story that's rich in intrigue and suspense -- the fear and paranoia caused by the Brotherhood rounding up women, the interpersonal conflict among the witches and the sisters, and the romantic suspense. I have to confess that I'm still not a big fan of Finn -- say that last part ten times fast -- but do like Cate, and if she's happy, I'm happy. I continued to love the very relationship between the three sisters. And then … wow, that ending. I definitely didn't see it coming and it will definitely make for even more drama in the third book. Bring it on!