jenryland

jenryland

Truly, Madly, Deadly - Hannah Jayne As a lifelong fan of mysteries, I appreciate all types -- the dark, twisted psychological thrillers, the grim police procedurals and even the tamer "cozies." Truly, Madly, Deadly is a book that is to the mystery genre what one of those Lifetime TV "woman in jeopardy" movies is to television: an entertaining guilty pleasure.If you like your mysteries on the literary or psychological side, then Truly, Madly, Deadly may not be the book for you. The characters and setting are underdeveloped and Sawyer, the protagonist, spends most of her time fainting, throwing up, or making out with a hot guy she's only just met. Sawyer also cries a lot. Luckily, this is not fake damsel-in-distress crying, but some serious ugly-crying. Because I was reading on a Kindle with a search function, I can tell you that variations of the phrase "snot and tears" are used four times. Someone hand this poor girl a tissue!The book's plot consists mostly of the Sawyer learning that someone close to her has died under mysterious circumstances or finding creepy, threatening notes. There aren't many suspects to choose from, and I did guess the identity of the killer pretty easily. The story raises some serious issues -- bullying, domestic abuse, sexual harassment, class differences, suicide -- that are not dealt with in any kind of a serious way. Truly, Madly, Deadly is clearly not trying to be an "issue book."But Truly, Madly, Deadly does offer up some very funny dialogue, a fair amount of suspense, and a fun, campy premise: a hapless protagonist with a mysterious-slash-crazy secret admirer. If you love that kind of thing, then I think you'll find Truly, Madly, Deadly to be a fun, fast-paced summer read.