jenryland

jenryland

The Distance Between Us - Kasie West Caymen Meyers works at her mother's doll shop, which I thought was so funny. And creepy. I loved that the book takes advantage of every opportunity to explore the weird relationships women have with dolls. Caymen meets cute with Xander and soon realizes that he's rich. Not just garden variety rich, but private plane rich, tycoon rich, never-have-to-work-your-whole-life rich. Caymen likes Xander, but she feels like she can't fit into his world, and maybe she doesn't want to.Often in rich boy/poor girl romances, the guy says that he likes the girl because she's so "refreshing" and "not like the girls he's used to." This usually annoys me because A) the refreshing thing about the girl is usually just that she's normal, and B) that attitude seems completely condescending and objectifying, like the girl is a new flavor of ice cream. But in The Distance Between Us, Caymen has a caustic sense of humor and doesn't hesitate to use it on Xander, which puts him completely off-balance. The book is laugh-out-loud funny at times, and the dynamic between the two of them was really sweet and endearing.The only thing I didn't love about the book was that after some real problems were thrown at the characters -- the difference in Caymen and Xander's lifestyles and expectations, the fact that the doll shop is in serious financial difficulty, and some mysterious secret involving Caymen's mother -- the ending just erases all that like magic. Those problems were what gave the book depth and weight and allowed the characters a chance to grow. ThenCaymen finds out that by a bizarre coincidence, her mother's family is actually super-rich too, something she never knew because her mother was estranged from them. Okay, so a) seriously? and b) SERIOUSLY? and c) there goes a central part of the story, just -- whoosh -- tossed out the window. I don't know what to say about this strange turn of events.But that small complaint aside, I really do recommend The Distance Between Us. It's fun, it's funny, it's romantic, it's a standalone -- it's a perfect summer read that will put a smile on your face.