jenryland

jenryland

The Theory of Everything - Kari Luna In short: a 14 year old manic pixie dream girl tries to find her long lost father.Sophia's mother struggled for years to deal with her crazy-brilliant physicist husband, and now Sophia is exhibiting the same odd symptoms. Sophia hallucinates -- wild, imaginative scenes involving talking pandas that pull her out of reality and into interludes that are like a combination of the movie Fantasia + an LSD trip + a movie musical production number. I appreciate the way this book shows the emotional destruction and heartbreak that an untreated mental illness can wreak on a family. The book shows how Sophia's father's wild creativity and spontaneity seemed fun at first. Then he started doing strange and alarming things -- vanishing without warning and taking actions that endangered others.There is some discussion of physics, though the characters use physics mainly as a way for Sophia and her father to explain away human behavior that would, to most people, seem disturbing. Sophia is ardently against doctors and psychiatrists and believes that she can cure herself. Or that love can cure her father. I got the impression that this book wanted to suggest that the explanation for Sophia and her father's behavior isn't a matter of brain chemistry, but … physics? I accept that sometimes there is a fine line between genius and madness and I LOVE books about quirky characters who see the world in different ways. That said, it seemed to me that the main character of this book had to be suffering from a mental illness and the fact that her symptoms were not acknowledged as such but shrugged off as a quirk (or a quark?) left me confused and somewhat uncomfortable.