jenryland

jenryland

The Beginning of Everything - Robyn Schneider Ezra Faulkner -- a star athlete who seems to have been named after a couple of literary heavyweights -- is relegated to the Table of Misfits in the high school cafeteria after his athletic career is derailed by a hit and run driver. Ezra fits in with the nerds more easily than he expects, and soon he's joining the debate team and the clever quips and puns are flying fast and furiously. (If puns and wordplay annoy you, this book will have you in a constant state of aggravation.)When Ezra meets new student Cassidy Thorpe, he falls hard. She's the classic MPDG (manic pixie dream girl) -- carefree and fun on the outside but deeply troubled underneath, and there to help Ezra learn some Big Life Lessons.This book certainly wasn't perfect for me -- the huge concidence at the end was a little unbelievable, I'm not generally a fan of the MPDG trope, and there's an animal scene that I'm still horrified about -- but still, I enjoyed reading it.I've heard that John Green-style contemporaries are supposed to be the New Big Thing in YA. I think comparisons of this book to Green's work will be inevitable, but reading this made me realize how totally genius John Green is -- beneath the quirkiness, his books all have an underpinning of genuine emotion that I didn't quite feel in this book.I also wish the publisher had kept the book's original title, as I thought it was way more memorable and fit the story a lot better. I do like the new cover, though...