jenryland

jenryland

The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls - Anton DiSclafani The Yonahlossee Riding Camp is a place where rich young girls are sent away from inappropriate boys, improper urges, and the Great Depression. Fifteen year-old Thea -- who is rich, spoiled, and sneaky -- is fleeing all three. As the book opens, Thea's been banished from her Florida home after an unspecified scandal. There is not much mystery surrounding the nature of this scandal, though the final details are withheld until the last pages of the story.Through the book's 400 pages, Thea stays spoiled and sneaky and repeats all her past mistakes and then some. She brought to mind that quote from the Great Gatsby as she (I'm paraphrasing here) smashes up things and creatures and retreats back into her money and vast carelessness and lets other people clean up the mess she's made. The writing is good and the time period is an interesting one, and then there's that whole adolescent girls and horses thing. I just kept wishing that, as a narrator, Thea had a bit more of an analytical nature. As the story seems to be told by her in retrospect, I guess I was hoping for some sense of reflection on her part, an attempt to make sense of what happened and her part in all of it.So….I guess that's the reader's job: is Thea a sociopath or just a narcissist? A victim of men or a predator herself? Book groups may enjoy debating these issues.