jenryland

jenryland

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea - April Genevieve Tucholke In Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, Violet White and her brother Luke are alone in their crumbling old house (nicknamed "Citizen Kane") after their flighty artist parents head off on a European trip. Money's tight, so Violet has tacked up signs in town offering their guesthouse for rent. Enter River West. He's gorgeous and mysterious and Violet is immediately drawn to him. But there's also something slightly menacing about River…something that doesn't quite add up.The book features some elements very familiar to readers of both Gothic fiction and YA paranormal romance: a girl alone in a spooky setting, the mysterious new boy in town who will either be the love of the girl's life or kill her, etc. etc. But I loved the way that Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea both embraced these familiar tropes and slyly used them to toy with me as I read. Every page of this book was beautifully written, taut with tension and suspense, hinting at terrible things to come. The story takes place in the small town of Echo, a place with a creepy cemetery and abandoned tunnels and kids who whisper warnings about a kidnapper who snatches children. Because the reader is kept in a constant state of uncertainty about River's identity and motivation, I wouldn't exactly call this a romance. Yes, River is a handsome, beautifully dressed guy who whips up delicious meals for Violet and sleeps chastely next to her. But isn't he too good to be true? I hoped he wasn't, but I feared he was...I loved this book. If you love Gothic fiction, beautiful writing, atmospheric stories, suspense, then Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea is a must-read!Full review -- and giveaway -- will be on my blog, Jen @ YA Romantics, later this week.Thanks so much to Penguin Teen for sending me an ARC for review.