jenryland

jenryland

Altered  - Gennifer Albin *I borrowed an ARC of Altered through Around the World ARC Tours*Crewel, book one in this series, was set in Arras, a place where an all-male Guild held the political power while female Spinsters had the ability to weave time and matter. I loved Crewel's creative concept and fantasy-meets-fairy-tale setting. The book ended with an intriguing plot twist that made it seem like the series was headed in a different direction.Okay, so I guess given the ending of book one, I should have been forewarned that Big Changes were coming. But to me, reading Altered felt a little disorienting, more like starting a whole new series. Instead of Spinsters and the Guild, we now have futuristic Sunrunners and an Agenda and some zombie-like characters called Remants. Who would have thought I was such a fantasy fan, because I definitely preferred the fanciful Old World fantasy feel of Arras to the harsh, post-apocalyptic setting of Altered. There are a few carry-over characters from Crewel, but most of the characters in Altered had an odd way of popping in and out of the story -- disappearing and reappearing. I was excited about the Remnants and a new villain named Kincaid but wished they'd all been more menacing.Many of the new ideas and plot developments introduced in Altered seemed to me quite reminiscent of the TV show LOST-- the time manipulation, the two timelines and layers of reality, the mysterious "projects" (the Dharma Initiative in LOST and the Cypress Project in Altered), the rich guy villain Kincaid, and the love triangle. As in the show, some of these aspects of Altered were and a little … out-there. Like the fact that Adelice meets her real father and he's the same age as she is because years on Arras are like dog years and so soon Jost's daughter will be old enough to be his mother and then Albert Einstein shows up and maybe he can explain all this stuff and *kapow*…. my head explodes! Then there's the matter of that pesky love triangle. Though I'm not completely anti-triangle, I wasn't crazy about the whole Adelice-Jost-Erik dynamic in the first book. In Altered, the triangle only intensifies.Longer review to come on my blog closer to review date.