jenryland

jenryland

The Chaos of Stars - Kiersten White I enjoyed the first book in the Paranormalcy series and thought that Mind Games had some really intriguing aspects, so I had high hopes for this.Isadora, the heroine, didn't have any of Evie's appealing spunk and vulnerability. She does a lot of pouting and sulking after finding out that her parents -- the Egyptian gods Isis and Osiris -- were expecting a new baby. And she broods endlessly about the fact that she's mortal.She goes to stay with her brother in San Diego, where she volunteers at a museum and her life suddenly gets perfect. Fun new BFF, check. Dreamy boy with blue, blue eyes and the hots for her, check. Glam job, check. (Isadora is put in charge of designing a major museum exhibit that will feature some of her family's artifacts.) There's also a tame mystery involving suspicious break-ins and the like. One of the characters is harboring a secret that was pretty obvious from the outset. For me, this book just didn't come together. I kept begging Isadora to give me a reason to root for her, but she just kept being surly and sullen. The book had a glib feel for a story about a girl who's trying to come to terms with her mortality. At times, I felt the story couldn't decide whether to be breezy and funny or dark and serious and just kind of awkwardly straddled the two. Chaos of Stars was not my favorite Kiersten White book, but it could make a great pick for tweens who have loved the Percy Jackson books and are looking for something slightly more grown up, or for YA readers looking for a quick read with some light mythological elements. Thanks so much to Harper Teen for letting me read an e-ARC of this book!