jenryland

jenryland

Tumble & Fall

Tumble & Fall - Alexandra Coutts An asteroid is on target to strike and destroy the world. And yes, the best scientific minds in the world are probably on the case. But this book isn't about that. It's about three ordinary teens and what they are doing in those last few days before impact. Sienna has just been released from rehab, Zan is mourning the death of her boyfriend Leo, and Caden is dealing with his alcoholic mom and wondering about his absentee dad.As the meteor speeds toward earth, these three characters have unfinished business to attend to, things that they need to take care of, or things that they get drawn into. Sienna struggles with the news that her widowed dad wants to remarry and deals with her growing feelings for a guy. Zan discovers something about her dead boyfriend that she needs to investigate. And Caden's story is surreal-slash-comical, involving kidnapping. And a hooker.One of the things I liked most about the book was that it felt very YA. The concerns and preoccupations of these three teens facing imminent death are set against the conflicting agendas and expectations of their parents. Yes, teens facing imminent death are still rebellious and I love that!With its intricate narrative structure and distinctly philosophical bent, I'd call Tumble & Fall an intellectual story more than an emotional one. I can't say I connected deeply with any of the individual characters, but I did connect to this fascinating, multi-faceted story as a whole, and found myself thinking about it long after I'd finished reading and moved on to other books.Full review to come on my blog closer to release date.